Oil and gas activity in Texas is off to a great start for 2018, with the Texas Railroad Commission (RRC) announcing it granted more permits in January than last year at this time.
The RRC announced last week that it issued 1,166 original drilling permits for the state in January, compared to 956 in January 2017. The breakdown includes:
- 1,036 new oil or gas wells permits
- 18 to re-enter plugged well bores permits
- 112 for re-completions of existing wells permits
- 243 oil, 78 gas, 784 oil or gas, 55 injection, two service and four other permits
- 211 permits were issued in Eagle Ford Shale
2017 was a great year for drilling in Texas, with the Texas Railroad Commission issuing 30% more oil and gas permits than 2016. 2123 of those permits were granted to operators in Eagle Ford Shale counties, surpassing the total 2016 number of 1119.