Frio County Commissioners Court Educating Locals On Disposal Wells In Dilley – Video

20 Active Disposal Wells And Pending Permits For 7 More

There has been growing concern in Frio County related to the number of Eagle Ford disposal wells located nearby. The county has the most disposal wells and the fewest number of oil wells of any major Eagle Ford county. In 2012, over 10 million barrels of waste were disposed of in the county.

The number of trucks coming through the area and a growing number of disposal wells has locals a little timid when it comes to their groundwater. The Frio County Commissioners Court held a meeting in Dilley to educate locals about waste water injection.

Note: It is estimated that 20+ gallons of waste water are created for every foot of rock that is drilled. Based on that metric, Eagle Ford wells have between 5,000 and 10,000 barrels of waste each.

video platformvideo managementvideo solutions

“Up to now, I have not been told of a single water source that has ever been contaminated,” said Noel Perez Dilley City Administrator.

Groundwater is seldom to almost never contaminated by disposal wells, so the worry isn’t warranted. With that, it’s still important to monitor local changes to make sure the sudden increase is disposal volumes over the past few years hasn’t caused any unintended changes.

The following two tabs change content below.
R.T. Dukes

R.T. Dukes

Managing Editor at EagleFordShale.com
R.T. is the managing editor of EagleFordShale.com. In prior roles, he advised major oil companies on strategy, the macro business environment, and opportunity screening. 2503 Robinhood, Houston, TX, 77005, U.S.A. | Telephone: 832.429.4790

Comments

1. Steve Branson says:

What companies have the 7 pending permits?

2. Carlos a garcia says:

Mr.Duke,would you please remove this title from your blog,it is very misleading and is not correct.myself and the Frio County Commissioners court hosted this event and not the industry,we invited them but they did not show.the purpose was to educate our citizens.please let me know where you got your info it is no at all reliable source. Thanks Carlos Garcia Frio County Judge

• R.T. Dukes R.T. Dukes says:

Mr. Garcia,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I’m glad the commissioners court is being proactive in educating the community. I had the impression the speaker either worked for one of the companies or had done consulting work for the companies. I apologize for the error and have changed the title to reflect your comments.

Have a good weekend,

R.T.

3. Sally Velasquez says:

Duke: Frio County hosted the Town Hall meeting you wrote about not the disposal industry. Frio County, and a Special Guest speaker had to educate locals about the disposal business including state regulatory agencies. Your news story and statements are not correct. We also invited the industry and they chose not to participate to help out as panel speakers. Frio County is interested in speaking to them. They can contact me and I will make arrangements to have them address Frio County Commissioners Court. Thank you.

• R.T. Dukes R.T. Dukes says:

Ms. Velasquez,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. I was under the impression the speaker was from one of the disposal companies or was a consultant for disposal companies. I’ve change the title and hope it depicts the situation more accurately.

Have a good weekend,

R.T.

4. LONNIE GOMEZ says:

in 1980 , you all containated our sweet drinking water in BIG WELLS, stay away from our sweet drinking water

• R.T. Dukes R.T. Dukes says:

Mr Gomez,

You must be confused. There aren’t any operators mentioned in the article.