The Eagle Ford Shale drilling rig count added five rigs jump to 245 active drilling rigs. That brings near the record of 247 set two weeks ago. Best estimates peg ~ 200 of the rigs targeting the Eagle Ford formation, while the remainder target other formations.
The number of natural gas rigs working decreased 1 rig to 110. That’s down 15 from just two weeks ago. Seven oil rigs were added during the week to bring the total to 135. Webb County (35) jumped Karnes County (32) and leads the region in terms of active drilling.
Chesapeake Energy (28) and EOG Resources (24) are the only operators with more than 20 rigs active in the play. BHP (Petrohawk) made the biggest jump of any operator over the past week by adding three rigs to a total of 14. That above BHP’s average of 13 over the past few months.
Operators are now reporting earnings in full force.
- Cabot Oil & Gas Q3 Operations Update
- ConocoPhillips Reports Trucking Constraints and Well Costs
- Hess Encouraged in the Eagle Ford
Here’s a recap of other news from this past week:
- Barges Moving Crude to Houston and Port Arthur
- Pioneer Permits a Long Lateral in Live Oak County
- KinderMorgan Acquires SouthTex Treaters for $155 million
- Oilfield Job Creation is Outpacing Expectations
Stay tuned each week for an update on the South Texas rig count. Better yet, Subscribe by Email or by RSS.
Drilling Rig Count by Operator
|Operator Name||Prior Week||Current Week|
|Pioneer Natural Res.||12||13|
What is the Rig Count?
The Eagle Ford Shale Rig Count is an index of the total number of oil & gas drilling rigs running across a 30 county area in South Texas. The South Texas rigs referred to in this article are for ALL drilling reported by SmithBits and not solely wells targeting the Eagle Ford Shale. All land rigs and onshore rig data shown here are based upon industry estimates provided by the Baker Hughes Rig Count and/or Smith Service Co’s (Schlumberger) Smith Rig Count.
Drilling Rigs by County
|Texas County||Prior Week||Current Week||Texas County||Prior Week||Current Week|
Kenneth E. DuBose
Latest posts by Kenneth E. DuBose (see all)
- H2S Gas Found in Higher Concentrations – McMullen Co. Wells - Dec 29, 2014
- RRC Adopts New Pipeline Permit Rule - Dec 26, 2014
- SPE-GCS Shale Study Group to Be Formed in 2015 - Dec 24, 2014